Summertime cookouts call for more than just grilled burgers. Grilled veggies are excellent and a nice alternative to other preparation methods. Here’s a quick and easy cooking time guide:
- Asparagus: 5 to 8 minutes
- Green beans: 5 to 10 minutes
- Eggplant, sliced: 5 to 7 minutes
- Mushrooms: 5 to 8 minutes
- Onions, red or Vidalia: 5 to 8 minutes
- New potatoes, halved: 5 to 8 minutes
- Sweet potatoes, sliced: 5 to 10 minutes
- Squash, sliced lengthwise: 5 to 7 minutes
- Zucchini, sliced lengthwise: 5 to 7 minutes
Clean and prepare vegetables. Brush both sides of vegetables with olive oil or favorite marinade. Grill vegetables, turning once, for indicated grilling time. Brush vegetables with marinade during grilling to ensure they stay moist and flavorful.
A grill basket is a great tool to use. Simply chop up what’s in season, toss with a tablespoon or two of olive oil, season with salt and pepper and place the grill basket on the grill for about 10 minutes. Stir a couple of times. A vegetable medley such as onions, zucchini, mushrooms and red pepper is a perfect complement to grilled meats. Grill extra veggies and toss the leftovers into a pasta salad. Simply add a vinaigrette to the veggies and pasta.